Agape Food Bank
Transforming lives through innovative programming, education, and hunger advocacy.
New year, new us!
Agape Food Bank has provided a beautiful food ministry in Polk County for more than 30 years. Over the last two years, Catholic Charities has been studying the needs of the underserved in Polk County. As a result, Catholic Charities will cease operations at the food bank by the end of December 2017 in order to refocus our food ministry where it is needed most.
Picking up the food bank role in Polk and Hardee counties will be Feeding Tampa Bay, a nationally recognized hunger relief organization and part of the Feeding America network. The food assistance programs in these counties that are currently supported by Agape Food Bank will continue to serve those in need under the supervision of Feeding Tampa Bay.
As part of this transition, Catholic Charities will open two Agape Mission Markets in Polk County (locations to be determined) that will also partner with Feeding Tampa Bay. These markets will mirror our Mission Market in Orlando where families can choose what they need from fresh fruits and vegetables to proteins.
In addition, the SmilePak program, supported by Publix, Mosaic and the GiveWell Community Foundation, will continue to serve children through the end of the school year.
What We Do
For over 30 years, Agape Food Bank has been addressing hunger in our community and transforming lives through innovated programming, education and hunger advocacy:
- Partner Agency “Sharing” Program – a warehouse grocery where partner agencies shop our warehouse for food to serve people in their food ministries.
- Pallet Delivery Program – a door-to-door delivery of food to our partner agencies
- Mobile Food Pantries – direct distribution to the most impoverished areas
- SmilePak – a weekly meal program that provides a backpackof food each weekend during the school year for students in need
- School Pantries – weekly food distribution at select schools for children and families in need
- USDA Commodities – distribution via pick-up and delivery
- Fresh fruit and vegetables are distributed directly from the field to people in need
- Nutrition and Outreach Coordinator – provides helpful tips and cooking demos to encourage a healthy lifestyle to at-risk communities
Hunger in our Community
- One in 4 of our neighbors struggles to put food on the table 23.2%
- Over 70% of our public school students are eligible for free and reduced lunch 70%