Life and Dignity of the Human Person
Catholic Social Teaching
The Catholic Church proclaims that human life is sacred and that the dignity of the human person is the foundation of a moral vision for society. This belief is the foundation of all the principles of our social teaching. In our society, human life is under direct attack from abortion and euthanasia. The value of human life is being threatened by cloning, embryonic stem cell research, and the use of the death penalty. The intentional targeting of civilians in war or terrorist attacks is always wrong. Catholic teaching also calls on us to work to avoid war. Nations must protect the right to life by finding increasingly effective ways to prevent conflicts and resolve them by peaceful means. We believe that every person is precious, that people are more important than things, and that the measure of every institution is whether it threatens or enhances the life and dignity of the human person.
At Catholic Charities of Central Florida, we provide adoption services for the birth parents and adoptive parents. If your pregnant and in need of support Click here for a list of Crisis Pregnancy Centers within the Diocese of Orlando. (Español)
More on Life and Dignity of the Human Person.
Beginning of Life
- Participate in the annual March for Life; either the national march in Washington D.C or the local march in St. Augustine.
- Participate in Laps for Life, a walk-a-thon and fundraiser for ultrasound equipment and support for crisis pregnancy centers in the Diocese of Orlando. Sponsored by 70 Knights of Columbus councils.
- Participate in 40 days for life full of prayer, fasting and peaceful vigil to end abortion.
Participate in the Florida Culture of Life Conference, gathering with others around the state to learn and support the Catholic Social Teaching of Life and Dignity of the Human Person.
- Promote Project Rachel and Rachel’s Vineyard post abortion healing and reconciliation process
Bioethics and Stem Cell Research
- Support Adult Stem Cell Research
- Get Informed by visiting National Catholic Biothic Center website
- Write to your legislators on the need for ethical research practices. Find your legislator here.
- Take the pledge to End Death Penality
- Educate yourself on the Dealth Penalty with these facts.
- Write to your state legislators and urge them to abolish the death penalty. Find your legistlator here.
- Attend a Death Penalty Prayer Vigil, to join others in prayers for those who are excuted.
- Donate or volunteer at Bishop Grady Villas
- Take steps to ensure that your parish and liturgies are accessible to all people.
- Advocate for public policies that promote the rights of those with disabilities, especially the unborn. Find your legistlator here, asking for more resources to those with dissabilities.
End of Life
- Fill out a Catholic Living Will, DNR, and discuss your wishes with your family
- Educate yourself and others on the harm of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia
- Volunteer at our Lakeland Activity Center or a local nursing home.
- Host a Living Will workshop at your parish contact the Culture of Life office at CultureOfLife@cflcc.org
- Celebrate World Day of Peace January 1 with our fellow Catholics around the world.
- Donate to the CRS Peace Building Program. CRS justice and peacebuilding programs engage civil society and the public and private sectors to foster inclusion, equity and accountability. They focus on both peacebuilding and post-conflict recovery.
- Advocate for public policies that promote Human Rights