The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers
Catholic Social Teaching
The economy must serve people, not the other way around. Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in Gods creation. If the dignity of work is to be protected, then the basic rights of workers must be respected–the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative.
- Support the ministry of Hope Community Center, a service learning community dedicated to the empowerment of Central Florida’s immigrant and working poor communities through education, advocacy, and spiritual growth.
- Educate yourself on Agricultural Issues.
- Shop for ethically produced products that support workers, the environment and Catholic Relief Services. Check out the CRS Ethical Shopping Guidefor everything from fair trade apparel to home décor.
- Get your parish, school or university involved by hosting a CRS Ethical Trade event!
- Support businesses that pay their employees a just wage.
- Talk to your legislative representatives about poverty issues and just wages.
- Contact the Culture of Life office to get education materials on The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers at CultureOfLife@cflcc.org